Following heart disease, cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States. The Donayre Cancer Care Center, located at 500 Jefferson Street, on the campus of Columbus Regional in Whiteville, grew out of community need, and a desire by Columbus Regional to open an outpatient cancer clinic that would provide quality care in a convenient setting. Services include:
- Chemotherapy close to home. Nurses and staff are trained in the specialized areas of oncology and chemotherapy, skilled in IV medication and fluids as well as patient monitoring (ie: blood counts, symptoms, medications);
- An in-house pharmacy that mixes drugs on site, prevents delays in delivery and supports the safe and timely administration of chemotherapy drugs;
- Access to clinical trials;
- Supportive medication, including the use of growth factors and blood transfusions, to help build a patient’s general health;
- Nursing and social service support for patient counseling to help patients cope with the personal and financial stressors caused by cancer and the treatment of cancer;
- Nutritional and spiritual counseling.
For more information about The Donayre Cancer Care Center, call us at 910-641-8220.
Any Cancer patient will tell you that community and family support plays a vital role in their recovery. Donations of lap blankets, hats/caps, books, music, DVDs, chocolate, and pillows have been made/donated by community members in hopes of providing some comfort/relief during treatment.
The Auxiliary of Columbus Regional Healthcare System provides gift packs to all new patients. The packs are filled with soft toothbrushes, non-alcohol containing mouthwash, aloe lotion, hard candies and other products essential to their care. Monetary donations have been made to the Cancer Center through donations to the Columbus Regional Healthcare System Foundation to help with medication/transportation needs of patients.
In addition to the local support provided to the patients of the Donayre Cancer Care Center, the American Cancer Society (ACS) recognizes this need, and offers several programs and services to aid patients and families. To access these and many other services offered by ACS, or to find out how you can volunteer your time or services to another patient through one of the many ACS programs, call 1-800-ACS-2345 or log onto www.cancer.org.